Pathways Injury ConsultantsCommon questions

Pathways Injury Consultants is a full-service, LOP-friendly, clinical and medical case management company providing high-quality care for patients and expert medical documentation for personal injury attorneys.


Who is an accident doctor?

Many kinds of healthcare professionals provide care for patients injured in accidents, including medical doctors, chiropractors, pain management specialists, orthopedic surgeons, neurologists, plastic surgeons, ophthalmologists, dentists and physical therapists. Accident doctors know how to care for accident victims and accurately document injuries.

What Is an accident attorney?

Accident attorneys specialize in helping people who’ve been injured in accidents. Accident lawyers have a working knowledge of all relevant injury laws, as well as of procedural rules, so they can handle any and all legal work on your behalf. Hiring an accident attorney means they will act as your spokesperson throughout the entire case.

What Is whiplash?

Whiplash is torn muscles and ligament in the neck and upper back. Whiplash sometimes has a delayed onset, meaning although you are injured, you don’t feel any pain right away. It’s important to go see an accident doctor after you have been in an auto accident for correct diagnosis and treatment.

What Is documentation of an injury?

Documentation of an injury is medical records, doctor’s notes and imaging results. Without proper documentation, you might not get the maximum settlement you deserve. Your accident lawyer uses this documentation to prove your injury. Poor or improper documentation may devalue a personal injury case dramatically.

I can't find a doctor listed in my area

Pathways Injury Consultants is adding doctors every day. Our goal is to have a doctor in your area and close to your home or work. If you don’t see a doctor on our list, please get in touch. We’ll find a physician who can help you.

How do I get care if I've been injured and don’t have insurance?

If you’ve been injured in a car, truck or motorcycle accident through no fault of your own and you don’t have insurance, or you can’t afford your deductibles or copays, you may be able to receive medical treatment through a medical lien or your own auto insurance. It’s important for you to see a doctor as soon as possible, even if you don’t have an attorney. You want to be sure you will have access to a wide range of treatment options and board-certified medical specialists. The scope of treatment options and quality of care available to you is directly related to the relationships established between the attorney that handles your case and the medical professionals providing your care. 

What do I do if a physician won’t see me—even if I have insurance?

This is the norm, not the exception. Many doctors don’t want to risk having to testify about your injuries. If you have insurance and a liability situation exists, many insurance companies will argue about whose responsibility it is to pay your medical bills and some may even have exclusions from their contracts with physicians. Payments may be delayed or not paid at all as one side claims the other is responsible. If you don’t have insurance, very few doctors will accept a letter of protection. Unfortunately, this gives patients little option but to go to an emergency department. While doctors in the ED can rule out life or limb threatening injuries, they are not set up for definitive treatment and rehabilitation. Patients are discharged with a limited supply of medication and instructed to see a doctor in clinic but are frequently unable to find one.

Why won’t my primary care doctor see me for a motor vehicle accident

This is very common for reasons in the previous answer. Your primary care doctor can refer you to Pathways Injury Consultants for an evaluation—or you can call us directly for an appointment. We don’t require a doctor’s referral.
I don’t have an attorney yet, should I wait to see a doctor?

No, any injuries you have from a car, truck or motorcycle accident should be diagnosed by a physician as soon as possible so treatment can begin.

My car isn’t drivable and the at-fault driver’s insurance is delaying providing a rental car, should I wait to see a doctor until I get transportation?

No, it’s important to see a physician and get established as a patient as soon as possible. Rent a car yourself, use a car service or get a friend to take you, but see a physician as soon as possible. Some insurance companies will delay your rental and try to use that against you later as a “delay in treatment”” of your injuries.

The other driver was at fault and their auto insurance company fixed my car, but they will not pay any of my medical bills. What should I do?

Unfortunately, this common too. It’s hard to understand, but you can expect very little assistance or payment for your injuries from the at-fault driver’s insurance carrier. They will often fix your car, give you a rental and even replace your car seat but provide no reimbursement of the cost of treating your injuries.

What if I need surgery?

Fortunately, 80-90% of musculoskeletal injuries don’t require surgery. Our independent physicians have a wide variety of treatments to get you better without surgery. If these treatments fail, or if you have a problem that is only correctible by surgery, they’ll refer you to one of our network surgeons. Your primary treating doctor will review the case with the surgeon to create an appropriate treatment plan.